WSOC Recap: ACU wins OT thriller; SFA wins on late goal; UCA falls


Joss delivers, ‘Cats win thriller in OT

Story courtesy: Abilene Christian Athletics

The ACU women’s soccer team played in an absolute classic match Sunday afternoon at the Bobcat Soccer Complex against the Sun Belt Conference’s Texas State. It was a wild game from start to finish that featured back-and-forth scoring. TXST led 1-0, ACU then scored twice to lead 2-1, then the Bobcats answered to send it to overtime, and the Wildcats ended it there to pick up their first win of the season, 3-2. ACU (1-1-1) used the corner kick to its advantage and had three different players score in the win.

“We will take the win on that one going on the road to play a match on same day travel. We did not get settled into the game for some time and made some decisions that hurt our cause. But we fought through it and had some players step up and put it in the back of the net when we needed it. As we navigate through the fall we will figure some things out about this team which will be a great tool for the spring.”

ACU Head Coach Casey Wilson

Sunday marked ACU’s final game on the road. The Wildcats will play at Elmer Gray Stadium for the first time on Friday, Sept. 25 against former Lone Star Conference rival Angelo State. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.


Sophia Smith’s Late Goal Lifts Lumberjack Soccer to Road Win at Lafayette, 1-0

Story courtesy: Stephen F. Austin Athletics

The Lumberjack soccer team got some late match magic inside the Ragin’ Cajuns Soccer Complex on Sunday, as Sophie Smith pounced on a loose ball in the box to score in the 84th minute and give SFA (2-0-1) the dramatic victory. Smith, a sophomore, scored her first goal of the campaign at an opportune moment, ending a scoreless gridlock that had spanned the better part of two halves. 

The Ragin’ Cajuns were the aggressors early on, earning a trio of looks in the game’s 12th minute, including one attempt tat was saved by goalkeeper Madeline Talbot. Talbot’s services were needed again in the 19th minute of play, as she recorded her second save of the contest. SFA’s Colleen Feagins notched SFA’s first attempt of the game in the 28th minute, forcing a save by ULL keeper Jordan Higgins, but the teams would battle to a scoreless intermission. 

In the second half, the hosts notched several looks on goal to force saves by Talbot, while fifth-year player Carli Arthurs nearly put the ‘Jacks ahead in the 56th minute when she laced a shot off the crossbar. In the 78th minute, the Cajuns nearly broke through, as they put forth an attempt that resulted in a team save at the goal mouth by the ‘Jacks, followed shortly thereafter by another shot and save by Talbot. Finally, in the 83rd minute of play, the Lumberjacks earned a corner kick that would lead to the decisive score. Arthurs would take a shot that deflected off Higgins near the goal mouth, and Smith was there to clean up from five yards out, scoring in the lower right corner of the goal to put the ‘Jacks ahead, with Arthurs notching an assist on the play. 

Madeline Talbot recorded seven saves in 90 shutout minutes played during the contest, and improves her record to 2-0-1 in goal this season. 

Up next for the Lumberjacks is a home matchup against Central Arkansas at SFA Soccer Field on Sunday, September 20. 



Story courtesy: Trent Eskota, UCA Athletics

Central Arkansas women’s soccer hosted in-state opponent Arkansas State, in a tightly contested battle, as the Bears dropped their first game of the season, 2-0.

The Arkansas State Red Wolves travelled down to Conway in their first game of the season. Central Arkansas was playing their second, following a 1-0 win over Little Rock on Thursday night. The game was tightly contested from the first kick of the ball, which began picking up intensity when Anika Sultan fired a shot towards goal forcing a save from the Red Wolves goalkeeper. 

The teams would exchange swings in possession early on in the first half, with most of the battle happening in the midfield. “We worked hard and controlled the midfield tonight,” said Sophomore midfielder, Abby Gibson.

The second half was more of the same until the 68th minute, when Arkansas State swung the ball in from a corner, and won a penalty after the ball was knocked into the arm of a Central Arkansas defender. The Red Wolves’ penalty kick was tucked away by Victoria MacIntosh. In the 79th minute, the Red Wolves doubled their lead after a mistake from the Central Arkansas defence led to an unassisted goal by Hailey Furio. The Bears would have most of the possession after the second goal, but could not capitalize.

“It’s unfortunate to not get the result. I thought we had most of the possession and some better chances. I felt that we played okay, and when we don’t have our best and still have a chance to win the game, it feels good,” said a positive Coach Jeremy Bishop. “We are ready to keep rolling, getting on the road with a few games in Texas. Just glad to be playing and looking forward to the next one.”

Central Arkansas plays again on Friday, September 18th at Texas State, set for a 6:00 PM kickoff.

Similar Articles